Friday, October 14, 2005

Let me tell you the tale of the night I ran away


It was a cold and foggy night.
The dogwoods were just beginning to change colors to a brilliant red.
My mom gave me a deer chop bone from her dinner and placed it on the front porch for me to enjoy. I was on the porch alone, just me and the rocking chairs. I can still smell that lovely bone ...... I was sinking my teeth into it and suddenly there was a boom. I hate booms.
The front door was closed. Another boom.

I was off. I ran down the steps, across the yard and down the gravel road.
It was dark and cold and the boom could get me. I ran as fast as I could.
I ran down the road. It was dark and all I could see was the road ahead of me. I ran past the horses. I could smell them in the field. There was no lights and no people. I ran and I ran and the road ended in another road and I turned left and I ran. It was quiet now. So very dark. I kept running. It was just the road. No cars. No lights. I kept running. The boom would get me. I had to run.

There were lights that led to a house. I saw this house before. It had the garden my mom always stopped and looked at during our long walks.
I went to the porch. I smelled dogs. This was a good house. It has dogs.
How big are the dogs? Nobody is barking. Just quiet and darkness around me, except for the lights of the house.

I whimpered. Nobody came to the door. I will sit here till someone comes to the door. Where is my mom? Where am I? What did I do?
I will rest here and when they find me. They will pick me up and find my mom. Where is my mom? I will wait.

A car is here and a nice little old lady is walking towards me.
I jump, jump, jump. Hello, I am Daisy Mae. Hello, Hello, Hello.
She picks me up and I lick her face. Kisses go along way when you are lost. She takes me in her house. This house has dogs. I don't see them, but I know they are here. I am in the kitchen and I drink from their bowl. A kitty runs away when she see me. I must be big and scary to that kitty.
I follow the lady to phone. I sit on her lap. She will find my mom.

I drink more water and walk around the kitchen while I wait. I can't find the dogs. The lady has them hidden. She talks to them, I can tell.
I hear another car. The lady picks me up and we go to the door. There is my mom. I wonder where she's been. I am so happy to see her.
I am tired. We are driving home.

My dad is happy to see me and he tells me not to run away. He probably don't know about the boom. He would run, too. I look for my bone and it's gone, but in my food bowl are lovely pieces of deer meat. Daisy -size, just for me. It's good to be back home.




1 comment:

kenju said...

Oh, Daisy, you must have been so very afraid while you were away. I am glad you are back home now. SO stay put, will you?